AIIM does a lot of excellent research that helps you identify the potential for selling solutions and services, but also establish a business case for change. AIIM has found that 40% of ECM sales is for replacing paper, 20% is for replacing digital landfills, and 40% is for replacing legacy ECM. Below are some of their worst research findings (or good if you sell scanning and content services...)
For fighting paper:
- 65% still use paper for orders, booking forms, contracts, etc. that requires a signature
- 2 of 3 manage HR records as paper.
- Only 1 of 3 have digitized or automated accounts payable, accounts receivable, vendor management, etc.
- It takes in average 21-30 days to process and pay an invoice in a paper-based process.
- The average cost to process and pay an invoice as paper is 26-34 euros when including staffing costs. Automating it will take the cost to 1-4 euros per invoice.
- 68% of staff think business-at-the-speed-of-paper will be “unacceptable in just a few years’ time.
- 46% consider that the biggest single productivity improvement for most of their business processes is to remove the paper.
For fighting digital landfills:
- 45% think that the lack of information governance leaves their organization wide open to litigation and data protection risks.
- 26% have had internal audit issues.
- 24% have had FOIA or personal data request issues.
- 21% have had data protection issues.
- 20% have had litigation and discovery problems.
For fighting legacy systems:
- Only 22% have mobile access to important business documents.
- Only 21% support mobile capture.
- Only 20% content creation and commenting.
- Only 13% have process interaction on mobile.